Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Work?



Work.
Who could work on a day like today?

I need to write.
I need to write a short story entitled For Simon. I need to write a novel, Another Child. I need to write this blog, about work.

I've long been above average at many things. I need to excel at one. I need to pour everything into something. I have decided that that something is writing. But today? Ugh.

I need to edit, submit, publish Trying To Love You. I need to schedule signings and package gifts of Two Sides of Wilde & My Daughter Still. I need to work. Just not today.

I need to finish The Senator's Daughters. I need to collect all my poetry and decide if so many varied ramblings can be in one collection.


I need to get in a car and drive to Joplin, Missouri. But I guess not today.

Today, or yesterday rather, a tornado all but destroyed Joplin, Missouri. It's an hour and a half away, but that's close around here. Today my cousin was rescued from the rubble and taken to the hospital there. Today we waited. She is ok. My Aunt & Uncle sat in Freeman Hospital, waiting and wondering about their young daughter's fate. I have been there.

Today is supposed to be my blog on work. This was scheduled months ago, when today should have been a typical Monday in a typical May. I have been thinking ahead to this blog, thinking about focus, about cutting the fat and writing every day. Had I written it ahead and scheduled it, I wouldn't have even thought of it, today.

I do need to write. I do need to cut back on anything that isn't writing, frankly. Today I am thankful to have that choice. I am thankful for my daughter, my family, my friends.

Well, I wrote my blog. I did write some on For Simon, and I must do the same tomorrow, because I can.

My thoughts and prayers go to the community of Joplin, Missouri,their families and friends and the citizens and emergency responders working to put their lives together again.~